Friday, January 6, 2012

Running

I did it!  Two days last week, I ran. I really ran.  The first time I made it 6 1/2 minutes.  The second time I did 7 minutes.  It was amazing to know that I could do that at all. I'm doing a Couch to 5k plan and will only advance each week if I can do the recommended schedule for 3 straight runs.  Right now I'm supposed to be doing 8 minutes but halfway through I have to skip a minute to make for a longer recovery.  Yes I could do a longer run time, but I refuse to push myself so hard that I quit.  In February, I want to add in some strength training.  The last time that I worked out regularly, I added everything in at once and could not manage the house, the kids and the sleepless nights (thanks to my sweet baby boy).  This time I'm pacing it.  I only stay on the treadmill for 30 minutes and follow the running schedule as it's written.  I still hate running, but when I did the runs, I felt very successful.  It's empowering to know that my 185 pounds of love can do that much and not collapse!

On a funnier note, I have to help you visualize my first run.  The day before I went on a date night with Daniel and friends.  I wore mascara. I didn't wash it off.  I also wore my new contacts that dried my eyes out. In the morning my eyes were red and had really dark circles under them thanks to the lack of sleep and mascara. Life happened and I still had not washed my face.  I made it to the gym with the kiddos in tow that evening. I forgot to wear my sports bra.  I started running. Thanks to the red eyes with dark circles, I already looked like a druggie. It really was that bad.  Then I started running and my bra straps started falling. Now I'm a druggie with falling bra straps. I refused to stop.  Did I mention I'm running a 5k?  That's what I held on to.  Then as I was going into my 5th one minute run, my underwear started falling.  I'm doing this to lose weight, but after 4 minutes of running I didn't think I would need new drawers!  As I headed into minute six, my bra straps keep trying to fall, my drawers are working their way down and my pants start falling. Add that to my druggie looking eyes and I was a hot mess for my first running session.  While I cleaned the treadmill I realized what I sight I must have made and walked out without making eye contact. Normally this would stop me, but instead of getting discouraged I started laughing!  What a way to start my new venture. It only gets better from here!

Weight  -184

No comments:

Post a Comment